Skip to main content

My Best "Thank You"

Grandparents are without a doubt one of the greatest blessings in the whole world and I am fortunate enough to have had nine (yes, nine) of them.

They're kind of like Disney movies -- it's impossible to pick a favorite. Each of my grandparents means so much to me and I so badly wish I could've lived next door to all of them growing up. I was lucky enough, however, to live just a short 30 minutes away from my Grandma and Grandpa Roush for the first 17 years of my life. My siblings and I have spent so much time at their house over the years. I know because of that, these two in particular have had a huge impact on the person I've become today. I wanted to find a way to let them know how much they mean to me, because I'm not sure I've ever told them.

Some of my best childhood memories can be attributed to weekends spent at my Grandma Marilyn and Grandpa Jerry's. My siblings and I would spend our days climbing trees, having water fights, and eating tomatoes fresh out of the garden. It was these days that we learned how to play cards or how to make grandpa's famous homemade pizza. On Saturday nights we'd watch Tom & Jerry and every Sunday morning we'd go to church. I think those after-church dinners are my favorite memories though -- especially the ones after grandpa led worship that morning. (When he sang, you could always count on an encore of "Victory in Jesus." Every. Single. Time.)

Looking back on my childhood and the memories I got to make at my grandma and grandpa's, I can't help but realize how much I have to be thankful for! But, I think what I keep closer to my heart than all of the memories I made growing up, was what they taught me. All of my grandparents have shown me what family looks like. Some of them have shown me what faith looks like. My Grandma Marilyn and Grandpa Jerry, however, have shown me what commitment looks like.

They made the choice to commit to each other the day they got married almost 58 years ago and they've continued to make that choice everyday since then. Through their marriage, they have shown me what it looks like to intentionally choose somebody you love over and over, to selflessly serve those you care about, and to humbly walk with the Lord everyday. Though they've been working at it for just a little bit longer than I have, the commitment they've modeled is something I admire; and it's something I know I want to strive for in all of my relationships from here on out.

So, grandma and grandpa, thank you.
For giving me such a happy place to grow up.
For the love you've shown me.
For the example you've set for me.

I didn't think words could express my gratitude as passionately or as permanently as I would like... so I decided to get a tattoo of the year you were married, to honor the commitment you made to each other in 1962 and to honor the commitment you've made to your family ever since.

You inspire me.

Grandma & Grandpa Roush on their wedding day.
(One of my favorite pictures!!!)

My newest tat.

"Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." -- Mark 10:9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Call for Empathy

 Whether you watched the debate on Tuesday night or not, I'm sure that's all you've been seeing on your timeline the last few days. Regardless of which side of the aisle you sit on, I think we can all agree on one thing: our country is more divided than ever. Over the last few months, I have been doing my best to be quick to listen and slow to speak. (Just imagine if our candidates had tried doing this the other night...) With that being said, I wanted to take the time to share a few things I hope you'll keep in mind as we draw nearer to Election Day. I'll start with the bad news: To live in a country  where we're all on the same page may seem a little far-fetched. There's too much conflict. Too much hostility. Too much polarization. But, here's the good news: It doesn't have to be this way. We may never get to the point where we're in total agreement with one another, but I don't think we have to be  this  divided and here's why:  The ke

On Donuts + Grace + First Tattoos

These last couple months I've been intentionally silent.  After choosing to step out of the narrative and instead devote my time to reading, processing, reflecting, and praying, I figured now was a good time to break my silence only because there's something I really want to share with you.  When I started this whole thing about a year ago (!!!), I promised myself I would be completely transparent -- primarily in my struggles and all of the things the Lord is teaching me as I walk with Him. I don't write my posts to give the impression that I have it all figured out. I would much rather use this as a space to highlight my imperfections, with the hope that there is one person who will find encouragement from these words; and also, to allow those of you who read these words to hold me accountable. More often than not, the way I choose to act contradicts the things I claim to believe. There is no discernible difference between the wrong choice and the almost right  one -- neit

Have a Little Faith

Ever since I shared my first blog post back in August, I haven't really allowed myself the time to keep writing. School started, life got busy, and the words weren't coming as easily to me. In light of our current situation, the past few days have given me the time that I normally would not have given myself. I figure now is as good a time as any to share what's been on my heart -- and I hope you find these words as encouraging as I do. Just a few months ago, when we looked towards 2020 and all we hoped it would contain, I'm sure a global pandemic wasn't on anybody's radar. I think over the past week, we've come to realize that this is a situation we have very little control over. Yes, you should wash your hands and yes, you should practice social distancing -- but ultimately, if we could control the extensiveness of this pandemic we would not be in this situation. I recently heard somebody say that in times of uncertainty you can feed your fears or you